[hpsdr] Panadapter scrolling in PowerSDR...

Glenn Thomas glennt at gbis.com
Tue Mar 27 19:03:13 PDT 2012

Here's a datapoint that may or may not be relevant.

I've been running PowerSDR for several years over several different
versions on my SDR-1000, followed by my Flex-3000. The behavior
described has been present in all versions of the Flex software I've
used, from v1.8.x through v2.3.5.

My assumption is that as I tune, the sum being made to compute the
average level in each frequency bin doesn't have time to collect the
requisite number of samples in each bin while I'm tuning. The method of
tuning (wheel or 'grab & grope') doesn't seem to matter. The speed of
tuning does.

If the computation of the average for each bin assumes a fixed number of
samples, the resulting value with fewer samples will look lower,
depending on how many samples were actually added to each bin. Assuming
a fixed number of samples instead of keeping a separate count for each
bin would be computationally more efficient - my assumption is that is
why this effect on the display is seen.

I don't 'wheel tune' very much with the SDR. I find the 'point and
shoot' method, coupled with an appropriate frequency step size and
display size, to be much more effective.

If this display calculation does not depend on which hardware is being
serviced (Flex or HPSDR), I would expect to see the same behavior with
PSDR/HPSDR that I do with PSDR/Flex.

73 de Glenn WB6W