[hpsdr] Hermes - initial powerup

Scott Cowling scotty at tonks.com
Thu Mar 29 15:09:06 PDT 2012

The power switch is not needed. It is bypassed with zero-ohm resistors.

J10 pinout:
+12V to J10-1
gnd to J10-2
gnd to J10-3
+5V to J10-4

Jumper J21 to enable the on-board 12V to 5V SMPS. This just connects
the power to it, it doesn't connect the +5V output to the rest of the
board. J26 does that.

J26 selects the +5V source: pins 1-2 for off-board +5V power or pins
2-3 for on-board SMPS supplied power.

Jumper J18 to supply power to the on-board 12V LDO. This just
connects the power to it, it doesn't connect the +12V output to the
PA and Alex header. J17 does that.

J17 selects the +12V source: pins 1-2 for off-board +12V power or
pins 2-3 for on-board LDO supplied power.

If your power input is +13.8V, you MUST use jumper J18 and J17 pins
2-3, as the PA is not designed for 13.8VDC power, just 12.0V power.

If you limit your input voltage to 12.0V, you can un-jumper J18 and
jumper J17 pins 1-2 to run the 12V section of Hermes (PA and Alex
header) off of that. The SMPS will work fine from either 12.0V or 13.8V.

That pretty much summarizes the power connector/headers in the lower
left corner.

73,
Scotty WA2DFI