[hpsdr] Hermes - initial powerup

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Thu Mar 29 20:31:54 PDT 2012

Erik,

The way the communication protocol works is that the PC program specifies to Metis/Hermes or Ozy/Magister how many receiver IQ streams should be interleaved for inclusion into the ethernet (Metis or Hermes) or USB (Ozy or Magister) packets that are sent to the PC.  The PC program specifies the number of receivers to implement, via three bits in the Command and Control bytes sent by the PC to Metis/Hermes or Ozy/Magister; namely, the three bits C4(5), C4(4), and C4(3) when C0 is zero.  That's all there is;  no firmware lists are used for this nor are such lists needed.

 However, for this protocol to function (with multiple receivers) it is necessary that the firmware for Metis/Hermes and Ozy/Magister be coded to recognize those three C&C bits and then interleave the IQ streams according to the three-bit value (000 = 1 receiver, 001 = two receivers, etc).  Metis v1.6 and Ozy/Magister v2.1 firmware do that already but Hermes v1.3 firmware does not.  The next version of Hermes firmware will have that functionality implemented; then, along with several other changes to the Hermes code, Hermes will be able to implement multiple receivers in its FPGA, just as a single Mercury board is able to do that now.

73,  Joe K5SO