[hpsdr] how about a report from TAPR at Dayton Hamvention?

Pat McGrath katya at arrl.net
Thu May 24 20:02:10 PDT 2012

How to obtain
"Jeremy was showing his iPad app"

-----Original Message-----
From: George Byrkit [mailto:ghbyrkit at chartermi.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:31 PM
To: hpsdr at lists.openhpsdr.org
Subject: Re: [hpsdr] how about a report from TAPR at Dayton Hamvention?

I was at Hara arena on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

On Thursday, I worked for the Hamvention as a volunteer, patrolling the
North Hall dealing with exhibitor questions and issues.  I did wander over
to the Ball Arena to visit the TAPR crowd as they were setting up and
preparing for the evening's board meeting.

The forum early Friday morning went well.  David from Australia spoke well
about his Codec2 project.  Steve Bible and Scotty Cowling spoke about TAPR
and HPSDR stuff.  John Ackerman spoke about TimeNuts related TAPR stuff.  A
mention of David Bern's 450mhz broadband-over-hamband mesh net was made.
David was on hand at the booth on Friday and Saturday demonstrating his
hardware by sending video from one side of the booth to another.

Jeremy was showing his iPad app on his shiny new iPad 3 (gorgeous display!
Best of any tablet, easily!) app, connected to Hermes.  Scotty was showing
an unconnected Hermes board, an un-populated Apollo board, an un-populated
Munin board, and his SDR-Stick.  The SDR-Stick is the HF equivalent of the
FunCube Dongle (which is for VHF/UHF).  Scotty had his FunCube Dongle there
as well.  David Carter's presentation was running continuously on  Bruce
Perrens' computer.  Bruce was present handing out flyers covering the Codec2
project.

The booth was staffed by the usual suspects (Jeremy, Scotty, Dan, John
Ackermann, the TAPR office crew, the presenters at the forum) plus myself
also answering questions.  Many hams with OpenHPSDR hardware stopped by and
chatted.  Dave KV0S was unfortunately apparently not able to make it.
Warren Pratt, NR0V was there, and I got to meet him on Friday.  Didn't see
him on Saturday, though.

Flex did announce their new radio and software.  However, that's a non-issue
as OpenHPSDR is for the experimenter and FlexRadio is not for the
experimenter.  Our open hardware and open software put us in a different
product space.  Not to mention that we're non-commercial and FlexRadio is
clearly commercial.  I hope that answers your question, Ken.

Last year was clearly quite special, with Phil VK6APH, and Kjell Karlsen
both present.  It was different, but similar, with the group present this
year.

We did manage to sell an OpenHPSDR board set to a German ham that I spent
some time talking to.  After I talked with him, I think he went over to
Flex, maybe some of the SDR receiver people, and came back and bought a
board set from John Koster.  Unfortunately, I guess we didn't have any
Pandora boxen for sale at Dayton.

73,
George Byrkit, K9TRV
KISS maintainer