[hpsdr] Penny Whistle Mech Alignment

John radio at mediacombb.net
Sun Nov 11 13:05:04 PST 2012

I have a problem mechanically aligning the Penny Whistle circuit board
to the heatsink.

Either the mechanical drawing is in error or the part in my TAPR kit was
made wrong.  If the board is first mounted loosly with screws in the
four inner hex post postiions, the holes for the cap screws are well
centered, but the hex posts at each board corner do not line up.  If the
four corner holes holes in the heatsink were moved toward the top of the
heatsink it would work, but I suspect it is the six center holes that
may be off because if only they were moved the board would also be
centered on the heatsink.

These holes are far enough off that none of the corner screws can be
screwed in, even when the center screws are loose enough to slide the
board around a little.

I tried to take a picture of my board.  The picture is a bit confusing
as the access holes for the cap screws are actually centered on them,
but the picture doesn't show that.

Picture:
http://www.n-connect.net/radio/Ham_Pix/Whistle%20Alignment.JPG

It would have been be easy to check hole alignment with the bare Penny
Whistle board and heatsink.  Unfortunately, I didn't do that.  I do know
that shipping of my TAPR kit was delayed until they had heatsinks, so
maybe it is just a manufacturing problem.

Has anyone else had a problem with this?

John,  WoGN