[hpsdr] Hermes J10 Power Connection

Berndt Josef Wulf wulf at ping.net.au
Sat Nov 17 20:33:57 PST 2012

G'day,

I've received Hermes this week. The box arrived without signs of damage,
but the Hermes PCB is warped to the point that I hope it will not affect
the installation into the Hammond enclosure. Using a standard 12V power
supply, Hernes powered up and was operational using the latest release
of PowerSDR R2.

My next step is to install Hermes into a Hammond enclosure and to use a
good quality power supply. The Hermes manual V1.9 describes the J10
pin-out as below:

PIN 1: +12V
PIN 2: GND
PIN 3: GND
PIN 4: +5V

However, the floppy drive power connector on the ATX power supply the
pin-out is

PIN 1: +5V
PIN 2: GND
PIN 3: GND
PIN4: +12V

In other words, the +5V and +12V lines are transposed and in this case,
the ATX FD power plug can't be used unless modified.

Is my observation correct or am I suffering from a brain fade?

73, Berndt
VK5ABN