[hpsdr] Hermes Project Badly Handled

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Fri Nov 23 11:45:59 PST 2012

Terry (no callsign):

Please sign your messages with your callsign as well.  My name is also Terry (WB4JFI), but I have no such complaints or concerns about Hermes, or any other openHPSDR projects.  I don’t want others to be confused and think that I might have sent the message below.

I am slowly collecting parts to build a Hermes, and have seen a few messages about discrepencies(sp), but I am not alarmed or concerned.  This is a leading-edge project that has been designed and made available by amateurs for amateurs.  You can expect a few minor variations in a first-release design this complicated and handled internationally.

The main parties are working to sort any issues out, which is a huge advantage of the openHPSDR community.  Many Hermes boards are being used already, so the answers/corrections are known to someone.

I have built many other bare boards and kits, and first-generation documentation often takes a back seat to getting the boards and hardware out there.  Errata is common.  Look at the excellent N2ADR-based DDC/DUC board from Germany for example.  It is similar to the Hermes, and several parts are different between the schematic and the parts list.  Some parts are difficult to obtain in the U.S. as well.  But, I did manage to find the correct information, and now have all the parts to complete my board.  The early Softrocks also had some variations between pasts lists and supplied parts, especially as Tony was improving the designs.

Relax and enjoy the ride!  Remember, it’s a hobby.

Thank you & 73,
Terry, WB4JFI