[hpsdr] Programming fixed IP address in Hermes

kb3omm kb3omm at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 07:41:06 PST 2012

Greg,
255.255.255.255 (0.0.0.0) is the default programming of Hermes as
configured by TAPR.

I suppose running the Hermes on the shack network and getting an IP
assigned via the router's DHCP will work, but the sheer amount of traffic
(70 Mbytes?) can overload a shared 100MB network. To prevent this I prefer
to run a dedicated NIC direct to Hermes, and keep the traffic isolated.

With no DHPC server, both the PC's NIC and Hermes will ultimately revert to
a self assignes APIPA address in the 169.254.x.x range.

73, Kevin kb30mm