[hpsdr] Programming fixed IP address in Hermes

andrea montefusco andrea.montefusco at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 00:02:35 PST 2012

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 4:12 AM, Phil Harman <phil at pharman.org> wrote:
> If you have set a fixed IP address and wish to remove it then setting the IP
> address to 255.255.255.255 or 0.0.0.0. will have the desired effect.

in theory, 0.0.0.0 is the correct address to be used when a system in
not yet initialized;
as per RFC5735, par. 3:

    Address 0.0.0.0/32 may be used as a source address for this host
on this network

Setting 255.255.255.255 could cause a spurious data reception, because
 that is the local broadcast address: again, this in theory, I don't
know if Metis/Hermes, in that status, would process such a broadcast.

  *am*

--
Andrea Montefusco IW0HDV