[hpsdr] cuSDR remote operation?

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Mon Nov 26 10:52:56 PST 2012

On Nov 26, 2012, at 8:45 AM, "Aivars Straupe" <yl2gvc at inbox.lv> wrote:

>  Hello!
> I've got a question about cuSDR remote operation. Is it possible to organize that over internet? First, how to transfer sound? Second, which ports are necessary to forward? And, is there any possibility to minimize traffic? I found just one, switch from 192 to 48. That minimize traffic to 600kb/s, but that is still a lot. Any suggestions?

Remember that currently openHPSDR hardware doesn't route IP.  That means you have to be on the same network segment as the hardware.  This precludes "over the Internet operation."  The big sticking point is that the hardware needs to get a discovery packet from an IP address to wake it up and get it to recognize you.  This has to be done via broadcast, which means that it must be done on the local network somehow.

Audio shouldn't be an issue.  It's generated on the computer side anyways.  It doesn't need to be really "transferred," it needs to be pushed out a local device rather than (or in addition to) the openHPSDR audio connector.  This is what's done on Heterodyne for iPad because the typical use case for those folks is not near the openHPSDR rig.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com