[hpsdr] A note about consumer-grade Ethernet switch/router throughput

Ken N9VV n9vv at wowway.com
Mon Nov 26 15:16:06 PST 2012

Hi Tom,
Today I indulged myself with a Christmas present. I purchased a new
Mikrotik 450G rated at 77,000 packets-per-second (1500byte/packets).

It was recommended to me by a old-time Network Engineer Bill KC9XG. He
used Skype screen-share with me and showed me the software tools that
are available for this router/switch. *WOW* both "The Dude" and one
called "WinBox" were absolutely stunning -- with graphics and text about
every node and access point on his system.

It showed 23Mbps Rx from the ANAN-10 to his PC and 3Mbps from his PC to
the ANAN-10 Tx. It was fascinating to watch it and I was hooked for
sure. I have never owned a router or switch with such fine SNMP (free)
tools.

I hope my PC and miTX Atom 330 can keep up with the network data rate
<g> I'll find out shortly and report.

A good switch or router makes a tremendous difference. My ISP told me
that a year ago and I am now a true believer (with 8Mbps down and
500kbps up).

GL and 73 de Ken N9VV