[hpsdr] Hermes Initial results and TX Question

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Thu Nov 29 14:33:39 PST 2012

Hi Joe,

You normally don't need a blaster cable to upgrade your firmware using HPSDRProgrammer.

The reason that some people are obtaining blaster cables now is that some Hermes boards are missing the bootloader code that is required to be present in the EEPROM if HPSDRProgrammer is used to upgrade the firmware.  If your board is missing the bootloader code in the EEPROM then the only way to change firmware on the board is to use a blaster cable to load code; after loading the bootloader code using a blaster cable you may use HPSDRProgrammer thereafter to load upgrades to the firmware, without use of a blaster cable.

Yes, the $14 cables work.

73,  Joe K5SO