[hpsdr] Hermes Initial results and TX Question

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Thu Nov 29 17:58:22 PST 2012

Mike,

It seems to me that the simplest method is to run HPSDRProgrammer and try to change your firmware version.  To do this, run HPSDRProgrammer, select "Hermes", click "Discover" and note the firmware version number reported by the program, then click "browse" and navigate to a Hermes.rbf file that is for a different version of firmware from that reported in the previous step, select it so that it shows in the "Program file:" window of HPSDRProgrammer, and click "program" to load the new firmware version into your Hermes board. When HPSDRProgrammer completes its programming, let the board restart (it does this automatically) then click "Discover" again to see what firmware version is now reported.  If the firmware version number reported now is the one you selected, your board certainly contains the boot loader code because the update procedure was successful, if the "old" firmware version number is reported again instead then you may not have the bootloader installed on your board.

Alternatively, there is an option in the Quartus Programmer utility that permits you to read the EEPROM directly to see what is actually in it; but likely you would need to have some familiarity with the Quartus Programmer and the bootloader code itself to effectively use this approach.  I've not tried this personally but I'm sure it could work.

Perhaps someone else has a better, or easier, method they could share?

73, Joe K5SO