[hpsdr] Solder paste question

John radio at mediacombb.net
Sat Oct 6 07:35:45 PDT 2012

I need some soldering paste to build a TAPR Penny Whistle kit.  A local
ham says he saw some at Home Depot.  I looked at the the Home Depot web
site and found they carry Lincoln Electric Bridigit 4 oz solder paste
(P/N BRPF4POP).

Has anyone on the list used this product?  Is it definitely non-corrosive?

The reason I ask is someone at work bought a large bottle of rosin base
flux, but it was meant for wave solder.  The hand built boards began to
corrode and I found this product was supposed to be washed off after
assembly. Before this was discovered,  I used it on a prototype circuit
board which I cleaned with alcohol on pipe cleaners, but traces under
the IC's eventually opened up.  I would like to get some paste fast, but
want to be sure it won't ruin the PC board.

John,  WoGN