[hpsdr] VS2010 vs VS2012, also please avoid 'Surface' tablets

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Sun Oct 21 09:33:18 PDT 2012

So here's why we aren't planning to move to VS2012 any time soon:
1) VS2010 runs on WinXP.  VS2012 will NOT run on WinXP
2) VS2012 is only now about to receive support to be able to create C++ apps that will run
on XP.  This is currently an item that is in early testing.

So, please continue to use VS2010, and do NOT use VS2012.

Also, you would be well advised to avoid any 'Microsoft Surface' tablets, as not suitable
for use with PowerSDR, KISS or other general windows software.  Why?  Because apparently
the initial 'surface' units to be released will NOT be 'x86' or 'x64' units, but will use
the ARM processor.  I do not know of a port of FFTW to ARM yet, and without that, any use
of PowerSDR or KISS would be extremely premature.  Also, the version of libusb0 that is
used with Ozy does NOT have an ARM port, either.

The other issue is that no one is working to create an application that will be downloaded
from the Microsoft store, which is the ONLY way to acquire apps to use on a 'surface'
tablet.  Sometimes new technology is REALLY on (or past) the 'bleeding edge' and should be
avoided for good reason...  I have no plans to port KISS to Surface devices...

73,
George K9TRV