[hpsdr] Being bsed on an ARM uP sn't why you shouldn't buy a Surface!

Steven Wilson stevew at ka6s.com
Sun Oct 21 15:46:35 PDT 2012

From: "George Byrkit"<ghbyrkit at chartermi.net>
"Because apparently the initial 'surface' units to be released will NOT be 'x86' or 'x64' units, but will use
the ARM processor.  I do not know of a port of FFTW to ARM yet, and without that, any use of PowerSDR or KISS would be extremely premature.  Also, the version of libusb0 that is used with Ozy does NOT have an ARM port, either."

George - there is an ARM port of FFTW for the Angstrom Linux, and even though KISS & PowerSDR don't work on the Surface, it is possible other software will run there given some time.  It likely isn't a drop-in, but that is the beautiful thing about "Open Source;-)"   I've compiled ghpsdr3-alex along with libfftw using the --enable-NEON switch to take advantage of the NEON Vector arithmetic available in my BeagleBoard for instance.  (Made about a 30% difference in performance!)

Steve KA6S