[hpsdr] ADC overload problems.

Kjell Karlsen la2ni at online.no
Thu Oct 18 07:19:43 PDT 2012

Hi Lars.

Thank you for the tip!

I called a friend of mine working at EISCAT and he confirmed the signals
are coming from them. But when I explained what I have observed, he meant
there must be something wrong with the transmitters. They have got some
new equipment and they are doing some tests with it so I really hope they
are not going to continue with this type of "modulation".

As far as he knew, they usually transmits CW, ON and OFF for every 2-5
seconds so this should not give any broadband spectrum. But 12
transmitters, 100 KW each combined to >1 MW will for sure drive my ADC to
overload. There is a mountain between the TX and Tromso and the distance
is 15 Km so normally the ground wave is attenuated a lot but the reflected
sky wave is very strong at times.

As I said in my first e-mail, we have not had this type of problems from
EISCAT before so I really hope it is a fault!

73, Kjell

På Wed, 17 Oct 2012 15:12:14 +0200, skrev Lars E. Pettersson