[hpsdr] Closing the loop.....

Warren C. Pratt warren at wpratt.com
Sun Oct 21 15:57:26 PDT 2012

Hi Dan,

There are a couple of us that are playing with pre-distortion linearization:
myself and Pete, W6XX.  It requires some care in the amplifier hardware
design with regard to memory effects.  It's still experimental; however,
we're getting quite good results on some prototype amplifier hardware that
Pete has built, currently taking IMD from roughly 30dB down to roughly 60dB
down.  The pre-distortion algorithm is implemented in software--I've done
that part.  There's also a matter yet to be resolved with regard to matching
outbound and inbound samples for adaptive calibration.  That should be
solvable with some software and firmware work.  We could also move the
algorithm to firmware; however, we'd clearly need to give up some precision
compared to what we're doing now.

I suppose the Cartesian algorithm would need to be totally in firmware as
the delays from software to hardware and back are somewhat lengthy and are
not fixed.

73,
Warren  NR0V