[hpsdr] Question re: RX attenuator

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sun Oct 28 03:57:34 PDT 2012

Hi John,

You are quite correct that the attenuator control is simply in/out and the
LTC6400-20 preamp is  actually in circuit at all times.  This was a
necessary compromise when designing Mercury since we found that switching
the preamp in/out of circuit introduced an unacceptable number  of spurs.
After revising the Mercury PCB some four times we were concerned for the
sanity of Lyle, KK7P, who was doing the PCB layout and decided on the
current implementation.

Theoretically there is a slight degradation in Dynamic Range in taking this
approach but given the resulting high sensitivity and the amazing lack of
spurs in Hermes it appears to be an acceptable compromise.

It would indeed be possible to implement 1dB attenuation steps over a 31dB
range for Hermes.  If you can construct a *totally convincing* argument as
to why this is necessary then you are in with a good chance of having it
implemented in the future :)

73 Phil...VK6APH