[hpsdr] Questions re: FPGA firmware

Alex VE3NEA alshovk at dxatlas.com
Tue Oct 30 06:38:45 PDT 2012

Hi John,

7-band firmware for Hermes is already available. I could not test it myself, but
I was told that it works fine with cuSDR at the PC side. As I understand, this
firmware will be optional, because its use leads to a higher current from the
power supply and more heat dissipation in Hermes, more traffic through the
network adapter, and requires more CPU power in the PC than a 2-band version.

The capacity of the FPGA in Hermes is much higher than needed for 7 receivers,
but most of it is used by non-radio code, such as network protocols. I created
the 7-band code by keeping that part intact and squeezing the receivers in the
available space. Now I am re-writing the whole networking module, hoping to save
space for a few more receivers, but this is a huge piece of work that will keep
me busy for the next few months.

I am using the free web edition of Quartus to compile this project. All FPGA
code I have written so far has been open source, and this project will also be
released under GPL.

73 Alex VE3NEA