[hpsdr] Strange behaviour

George Byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Wed Sep 5 06:26:02 PDT 2012

Roland,
This isn't a bug.  This is a difference in how a feature was implemented.  It is acting
correctly on PowerSDR, for how it was implemented.

KISS has a special optimization that Phil VK6APH had me make.  It attempts to reconnect to
the previous Metis or Hermes on the Ethernet segment it was last on.  This can of course
be disabled.  If this special feature is enabled, and the device is not found, then a full
'discovery' of Metis/Hermes devices is performed.

What you are seeing is PowerSDR performing a full discovery of Hermes/Metis devices each
time you start the radio.  Bill KD5TFD just recently implemented the 'full discovery' so
that Hermes or Metis devices on any Ethernet segment attached to the computer could be
found.  And done a bug-fix for certain Win-7 special cases.  When he has time, he may be
able to do something like I did for 'discovery of last used device' as I did on KISS.

So for now, what you are seeing is normal, and to be expected.  It may change (for the
better, time-wise) if Bill or someone else gets the time to work on it.  Remember, we are
all dependent on the pool of volunteer programmers who work on this, often in their spare
time, when they are not working on paid programming work to bring home the bread, and
bring home better radios.

73,
George K9TRV