[hpsdr] Automatic Tuner Unit

Glenn Thomas glennt at gbis.com
Fri Sep 14 21:41:37 PDT 2012

Interesting wrinkle. Note that the Z-100 (not Z-100Plus) has no such
limitation in its spec, though it may share the limitation in reality.

Presumably the power limitation for PSK is based on thermal performance
- the toroidal cores get too hot. If so, perhaps you need a higher power
tuner. Check out LDG, MFJ, SGC or Tokyo Hy-Power. For example the LDG
AT-200ProII is rated at 250 watts for most modes, 75 watts for
PSK/digital. http://www.ldgelectronics.com/c/252/products/17/3/2.

A thermal problem doesn't say very good things about tuner efficiency.
Perhaps, instead of a higher power ATU, a tuner with air core coils is
called for. This seems likely to be physically bigger than a comparable
ATU with toroidal inductors.

73 de Glenn