[hpsdr] Munin - L4, and Spacers - some tips

dlwaddel at netzero.net dlwaddel at netzero.net
Fri Aug 23 15:04:39 PDT 2013

Just a few more comments.

I had no trouble at all stripping the supplied RG58 to separate the braid from the insulation and center conductor and using the braid for construction of L4. However, I also tried Tom's method, except I used some 1/4" copper refrigeration tubing I picked up in a 24" length from Home Depot. I used two small pieces of thin PC board for the ends. I used my rotary hobby tool to grind off copper where I didn't want it.

I used a tubing cutter to cut the copper tube, then used a tubing flaring tool to taper the ends slightly so passing the teflon wire through was easier.

For the spacing, I put two #4 flat washers and a split lock washer between the standoff and the heat sink and another flat washer between the board and spacer. That turned out to be about right. I also put a dab of Locktite on each standoff to keep it from coming loose from the heat sink.

I also noticed that the trimmer resistors were very near the end of their range for the proper bias current.

My amp is up and running with Hermes. Made a contact with Croatia second time on the air!

Don
K3DLW

Message: 4