[hpsdr] Fwd: Re: Munin - L4, and Spacers - some tips

Kjell Karlsen la2ni at online.no
Sat Aug 24 00:32:12 PDT 2013

------- Videresendt melding -------
Fra: "Kjell Karlsen" <la2ni at online.no>
Til: "Tom McDermott" <tom.mcdermott4 at yahoo.com>
Emne: Re: [hpsdr] Munin - L4, and Spacers - some tips
Dato: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 21:16:51 +0200

Hi Tom.

Did you follow the advice on the Munin 2 (http://k9ivb.net/munin2/) and L4
construction description?

The reason I wind the transformer using a braid instead of the tubes is
that the transformer is much more efficient at 50 MHz. It is very
important that the 4 secondary turns are covered by the braid all the way
at the right hand side. In fact, the efficiency is around 10-15 % higher
at 50 MHz than a standard transformer.

This is a variant of the transformer used by ICOM, Kenwood and Yaesu in
all their modern transceivers. ICOM use 4 pieces of low impedance coax
with the braid connected in parallel for the primary and the inner wires
connected in series for the secondary. The result is the same.

This is also the reason why the output is near the primary to have as
short connecting ends as possible.

I think you can fix your transformer by cowering the turns on the right
side with braid and solder to get a complete shield. The Teflon insulated
wire is not damaged by the heat.

73, Kjell

På Fri, 23 Aug 2013 07:14:18 +0200, skrev Tom McDermott

Sendt med Operas e-postklient: http://www.opera.com/mail/