[hpsdr] New Munin2 Schematic for 24V-DC Operation

Dick Faust k9ivb at cox.net
Sat Dec 7 12:04:20 PST 2013

Rod [Jim - FYI]
I will answer in line.  Further questions should go to Kjell as I have
no experience at the higher voltages.
Dick K9IVB
On 12/5/2013 2:38 PM, Rod Brink wrote:
> Hi Dick -
>
> I have a few questions regarding the 24v Munin version.  I probably
> should be asking Kjell directly, but no longer have his email address.
See cc's
> 1)  About the IMD measurements shown in your posting:
> http://k9ivb.net/munin2/Munin%20Tests.zip   Do you know if these are
> from the 13.8v version or the 24v version?  They appear to be from the
> 13.8v version.  I would expect significant improvement with the output
> MOSFETs running at the higher voltage.
Posting is for 13.8V version

> 2)  And speaking of the higher voltage, I'd be worried about operating
> the RD100HHF1 at 24v.  At a minimum the drains will see twice the
> supply voltage owing to push-pull transformer operation - higher
> voltages with SWR>1.0. The max. Vdss rating for that transistor is
> 50v.  Seems to me there is virtually no operating margin.
True, you could back down to 20V or so for more margin.

> Your use of RG8X braid as the L4 primary seems like a much easier way
> than what I struggled with when I built one of Kjell's very first
> prototypes.  I made mine with 25-ohm coax and had trouble splitting
> out the secondary turns from the braid.  At the time that was the
> method favored by Kjell.  I can't tell for certain but it looks like
> Kjell is now making his the same way as you.  So here are my questions:
>
> 3)  Is your L4 secondary just plain wire threaded through the braid?
No it is the 18ga Teflon wire provided in the kit.  I could not find my
supply of RG303 and I had a bunch of the 8X which was far more flexible
than the coax in the kit - would have preferred the Silver plated
variety, but think this will be just as effective.
> 4)  Are you getting good response at 50mHz?
Have not finished the cables and housing as yet so no tests.