[hpsdr] Pre-Distortion

David R. Wilson david at wwns.com
Sat Dec 7 16:01:11 PST 2013

Hi guys,

This idea was used in HDTV and HDRadio, and has been there now for a
number of years.  It is built into some of the more modern broadcast
transmitters.

It really works well.  I had the chance to be at a training seminar
at Harris about 8 years ago and saw this on the spectrum analyzer.

Once the switch was flipped for the system to optimize the spectrum and
clean up the mixing products, it took a few seconds.  Then the garbage
dropped by several DB (best I remember more than 10, could have been
more).

So, Yes.  This stuff is well worth the hassle.  For a HDTV station it
is very difficult to meet FCC requirements without it.

Dave
KU4B