[hpsdr] Pre-Distortion

Helmut, DC6NY dc6ny at gmx.de
Mon Dec 9 01:29:48 PST 2013

Hi Dan,

Many thanks for your really interesting input, absolutely not silly. A lot
of additional features seem conceivable, but this simple sampler should just
be an inexpensive hardware component for folks to get the pre-distortion
technology started. I’m pretty sure that the existing hardware and
especially the SWR bridges on the different amplifier/LPF boards like Alex
or Anan will be modified soon to allow internal as well external use for
pre-distortion feed-back.
I think it’s very important to sensibilize folks for this smart ‘Pure signal
philosophy’, only available in an economic way with our state-of-the-art SDR
architecture. Since decades suppliers compete with funny 1 or 2 dB more of
RX IP3 of the radios and neglect the spectrum quality of the TX signal
completely. Pre-distortion will hopefully be a milestone in ham radio
applications.
Concerning to Vdd tracking: We are experimenting since some time with class
E amps and EER techniques. The necessary PWR signal representing the
SSB-envelope is already generated in the FPGA thanks Alfred, HB9EPU, and a
PWM power amp together with the LP is also built. This will be the next
challenge to get pre-distortion and EER efficiency married.

In every case things stay exciting.

73, Helmut, DC6NY