[hpsdr] Predistortion reference and comments

Helmut, DC6NY dc6ny at gmx.de
Mon Dec 9 09:13:35 PST 2013

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your input. Right, pre-distortion is new invention. Supplier of
3G and 4G cellular phone networks use this technique since years to
linearize their base stations. Even older systems will be reconditioned with
pre-distortion to make them capable for advanced LTE applications.
I’m just a minor tester since beginning of this year and I only tested 4
different solid-state amps up to 800 W output level. Best results could be
achieved with a new developed 300W LDMOS amplifier and more than 60 dBc (!)
IMD after linearization, i.e. approx. 30 dB improvement. Even a 2 stage
LDMOS/BJT array with 4 combined push-pull strips exhibits more than 50 dBc
IMD at real load (antenna). I didn’t test tube amps. I had the pleasure to
accompany the project as tester from the early beginning with manual
calibration using a ramp function to collect the different samples up to
current comfortable self-calibrating software version. It is tremendous what
Warren, Doug and Phil created in such short period of time. We owe a great
gratitude to these brilliant developers.

73, Helmut, DC6NY