[hpsdr] Updating an old HPSDR board set

Dale Boresz dmb at lightstream.net
Mon Feb 25 03:42:45 PST 2013

Hello,

Due to a lack of free time, my HPSDR Mercury, Penelope, and Ozy hardware
has been sitting in a drawer since early 2010. I finally have a little
more time to play now, so I fired everything up yesterday -- and it
still works! However, I suspect that a few changes and enhancements have
been made since January 2010

Here's what I currently have running:
-- PowerSDR v1.10.4 + BaseSVN 2025
-- Under the PowerSDR > Setup > HPSDR tab, the firmware versions are
reported as:
     Ozy FX2: 20090524
     Ozy: 16
     Mercury: 27
     Penelope: 12

The programming environment I have on this machine from back then is:
c:\altera > 81 > qprogrammer

There is also the following directory:
EEPROM_BLASTER, which contains a README.txt dated 21 Nov 2009, which is
what I referenced the last time the firmware was updated.

 From what I've seen on the openhpsdr.org site, I suspect I'm going to
want to get my hands on Metis and Excalibur cards as well, if possible.

Can anyone pass along a link to a reasonably up-to-date documentation
source that would address what is needed to get these modules updated to
the latest code in a Windows enviroment (either XP or Win7 64-bit)? I
see that the 'Downloads' page on openhpsdr.org seems to have current
information, however I haven't seen anything describing the process
involved in updating the firmware. For example, I remember back then
that the physical ordering of the cards on the backplane was
significant. If the only answer is to start clicking links and reading
-- that's what I'll do. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a
consolidated set of instructions that might save some time.

Thanks in advance!

73, Dale
WA8SRA