[hpsdr] Janus as sound card

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Mon Feb 4 14:26:32 PST 2013

On Feb 4, 2013, at 2:21 PM, Joe Martin K5SO <k5so at valornet.com> wrote:

> The situation is rather opposite to what you suggest.  Specifically, the HPSDR ports of PowerSDR already support those units and will continue to do so.  It’s remains to be seen whether HPSDR variants of PowerSDR will always support the Flex products, I think.

Also note that the new Flex 6000 series does *not* use PowerSDR.  Flex is developing a new program to deal with them called SmartSDR.  This is because Flex is putting an ARM and significant DSP processing inside the box.  My understanding is that, unlike PowerSDR, most of the SDR processing is now happening in the box.

I asked them at last year's Dayton whether they were open to providing the on-wire Ethernet interface protocol for the box, but they weren't very enthusiastic about the possibility.  Apparently marketing thinks this is part of their secret sauce.