[hpsdr] Hermes/PowerSDR High or Low side injection for transverters

Alfred Green nu8i at cox.net
Wed Feb 20 12:10:17 PST 2013

On 2/20/2013 6:17 AM, Conrad Farlow wrote:

> Does PowerSDR allow the use of either high side or low side injection
> automatically, i.e does it invert the side bands accordingly. I am
> thinking of using high side injection for convenience on some bands.

It doesn't look like it does.

Using PSDR v2.2.8 for OpenHPSDR; the form accepts the transverter LO
being above the desired band, but no tx or rx. For example, with the LO
set as usual, eg. 410MHz for an output of 435MHz, the rig operates at
25MHz as expected, but not with LO = 460MHz.

With PSDR v2.5.3 and the Flex1500 the same test does operate with a
high-side LO, but all it does is calculate the offset from the LO and
Begin Freq. Then it has standard +ve tuning and no sideband inversion,
so that doesn't seem like what you want.

There used to be a way of operating the inverting satellites with the
F5000 V/U, but I never used it so I can't say whether it did true
inversion or not.

I used to have a couple of the higher microwave transverters that were
inverting, so I see the problem. That was just because of where the
bricks came out. Now with the bigger choice of IFs available with SDR I
have always been able to find a scheme that gets the passband the right
way round.

GL & 73,  Alf  NU8I
Phoenix  AZ  DM33xo