[hpsdr] Fully enclosed Hermes cooling?

John Marvin jm-hpsdr at themarvins.org
Thu Jan 3 11:09:48 PST 2013

I have the TAPR version of Hermes and have put it into a fully enclosed
cabinet, so I've been a little concerned about heat also. I decided to
put the recommended heatsink on the bottom of the board below the 5V
regulator, but I have my doubts about how helpful that is. It seems it
would be better (if such a part existed) to put a miniature heatsink
directly on the regulator. The A/D converter works equally as hard for 1
receiver as it would for multiple receivers, so I don't see a reason to
put a heat sink on that.

I've run the 4 receiver version of the firmware with all four receivers
going for almost 90 hours straight without any issues, although the
cabinet did get fairly warm (but I wouldn't call it hot).  I've also
tried a 7 receiver experimental version of the firmware, but the longest
I've gotten that to work is about 12 hours. That may be due to the
higher heat, but I think it is more likely due to the common code it
probably shared with the 1.8 (or earlier) version of the firmware that
contained the "hang" bug (that has since been fixed). I haven't had a
chance to try the new 2.1 firmware with all 5 receivers running for an
extended period.

I don't know if the extra heat will have any significant long term
effect or cause premature failure, but usually the kind of heat required
to cause damage in the medium to long term causes flakey behavior in the
short term.

Looking forward to testing the 13 receiver version of the firmware :).
Probably not going to happen, but I can always dream!

John
AC0ZG