[hpsdr] OpenHPSDR suitable HF Amps

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Thu Jan 17 17:15:31 PST 2013

Jim,

Yes, that would be the case assuming the drive signal was also perfect.

It would be delivered by Santa and packed by the tooth fairy.

There are a number of HPSDR members working on adding pre-distortion to
our hardware and software.

Whilst in theory its simple enough, measure the system non-linearity and
then apply the inverse to the drive signal.

However, its not that simple in practice since the system non-linearity
changes with frequency, power level, SWR, temperature etc.  These is also
an issue called Memory Effect where the non-linearity changes dependent on
the level of previous signals.

It also appears that pre-distortion can't be applied to just any old PA
stage.  In particular it needs be designed initially to minimize Memory
Effects.

That being said, results so far have been very encouraging but that does
not necessarily mean that pre-distortion software can be added to existing
HPSDR software without hardware changes.

73 Phil....VK6APH