[hpsdr] HPSDR 1. SDR generation?

glennt at gbis.com glennt at gbis.com
Thu Jul 4 11:27:42 PDT 2013

Hmmm... seems to me that "generations" are delimited by revolutionary
changes in approach. I don't think any of the SDRs really qualify as
revolutionary among SDRs - they are evolutionary.

I would describe the previous "generation" is defined by solid state
synthesized analog radios - possibly with digital assistance in terms of
synthesizer management and audio DSP. Early examples (circa 1980) would
be the Collins KWM-380 and the Icom IC-720A.

The current "generation" is the crop of SDRs already listed. They break
with the analog approach, so they would be a new generation based on
that revolutionary change in the design approach. There are evolutionary
differences between them, but everything from the SoftRock to the
HPSDR/Flex-6000 are part of this generation.

Dunno what the next generation will look like. Previous generations seem
to spawn on roughly 20 year intervals and it's not yet been enough time
to discern the outlines of the next generation. Anyone who really wants
to know what the "next generation" is going to look like should be
paying very close attention to the crackpots among us, mainly because
one of them is not a crackpot...

Speaking of crackpots, "generations" can also be taken as general
marketing bullroar and otherwise without meaning. In a sense, every new
development is an evolution of something that came earlier.

73 de Glenn WB6W

--
Speaking of recursion, why did the cynics go wrong?