[hpsdr] Standalone Testing of Alex

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Mon Jun 24 20:10:02 PDT 2013

Tony:

For ALEX development and factory testing, I designed a simple PC board
with a PIC, a program written in PIC assembler,  a few buttons and
an LCD to allow stand alone control and testing.

I don't know how much trouble you would want to go to for
stand alone testing.

If I had to do it today, I would probably buy one of the FTDI brand
USB to SPI cables and write a PYTHON script to control it
from a PC.

So, you will either need some kind of SPI control source to
set the relays for testing, or a known good radio such as
Mercury, or Hermes to control it.

As Joe, K5SO, correctly said, using a known-good radio to control it
would only allow you to test it in the configurations and at the
frequencies the radio programmer intended.

--- Graham / KE9H

==