[hpsdr] New HPSDR/P*SDR Release - Display, 384K, and more

Warren C. Pratt warren at wpratt.com
Sat Mar 2 19:48:50 PST 2013

HPSDR operators,

Does your CPU need more exercise?  Want to see more on your Panadapter?

Doug and I have collaborated on a new release adding some new features:

**Deep FFTs (FFT bin-widths as small as 0.184Hz) - Mercury, Hermes, and
Angelia.

**Wide Spectrum Display (displayable spectrum of over 1 Mhz).  This width is
for Hermes, RX1 only at the moment, and at the new 384K sample-rate.
However, Angelia supports a wider display also . and stay tuned for more
announcements!

**Fast Update Rates (up to 60 frames per second at any selectable FFT-size
and displayable spectrum width-assuming your CPU is up to the challenge!)

Why might you care?

**Deep FFTs means smaller frequency "bins" which means less noise per bin;
this lowers the noise floor and makes weak signals more visible.  The
smaller bins also mean better frequency resolution on viewed signals and
better resolution for frequency calibration.  Those large FFTs make great
spur hunters too.

**Wide Spectrum Display-You can see more of what's going on around you in
the frequency spectrum.

**Fast Update Rates make the display more interactive and pleasant to view.
They also allow you to better see transient signals that might be missed
between less frequent updates.

But, take care!  We're sure some government or its agency has determined
that such bold FFT computing could be hazardous to your CPU's health and
might induce CPU heat stroke.

As an added bonus, there's a new NoiseBlanker -be sure to reset your
NoiseBlanker parameters if you have a job for it.

We hope you enjoy the new release.  More details on usage are found in this
document:   http://openhpsdr.org/wiki/images/b/b4/POWERSDR_USER_NOTES.pdf .
Be sure to check out the sections on the Panadapter, the NoiseBlanker, and
384K Operation.

Get your copy today!  Download the installer from the openhpsdr.org
downloads page or using this link <
<http://svn.tapr.org/repos_sdr_hpsdr/trunk/W5WC/PowerSDR_Installers/PowerSDR
_mRX_v3.0.0.0_Setup.msi> PowerSDR_mRX_v3.0.0.0_Setup (Compiled with MS VS
2010) > .

73,

Doug  W5WC

Warren  NR0V