[hpsdr] Tech Note: glxgears - problem resolved

Ken N9VV n9vv at wowway.com
Thu Mar 7 13:34:32 PST 2013

Problem identified on Windows-8 and solved! (whew!)

It turns out that NVIDIA has a 3d setting that allows for frame
rates/second only as fast as the "VERTICAL SYNC RATE OF YOUR MONITOR".
In my case that == 60fps :-(

So I turned OFF THE NVIDIA VSYNCH option and now my wglgears report
shows: "wglgears -v -i > test.txt"
GL_RENDERER = GeForce GT 640/PCIe/SSE2
GL_VERSION = 4.3.0
GL_VENDOR = NVIDIA Corporation
GL_EXTENSIONS = GL_AMD_multi_draw_indirect
28641 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5728.200 FPS
32152 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6430.400 FPS
32385 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6477.000 FPS
32168 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6433.600 FPS
not as fast as I had hoped, but sure better than 60fps from my monitor.
I understand there are better "bench marks" and I will be looking for
more info.

At least now we have something to show us how fast our systems are
capable of going, and that the "DISPLAY RATE FPS" in OpenHPSDR/P*SDR
does not == what you will see on your monitor.

thanks for learning with me,
73 de Ken N9VV