[hpsdr] Mercury - Updating the onboard 10MHz oscillator

Paul Wende radioboy at telus.net
Fri Mar 8 23:24:35 PST 2013

Hi guys,

In my research for external 10MHz references, I got to thinking, why not
just improve the on board oscillator on Mercury? It is a pretty standard
100ppm oscillator, nothing special. I found a number of replacements that
look like they would work, and are only $10-$15. They are TCXO type. The
specs look similar to the original Citizen, except way better stability,
some are .28ppm drift and 1ppm freq. stability. They also meet the STRATUM 3
spec, whatever that is.

Is there any reason these wouldn't work if I pay attention to details such
as VDD, output C and current draw? Are there any other oscillator specs that
are critical in this circuit?

BTW, the Mercury BOM lists the 10MHz OSC as a standard oscillator, not a
TCXO, yet the manual states it is a TCXO. Mmmm? Will have to pull the hood
again to see what is really on board.

73

Paul
VE7KHz