[hpsdr] WTB Excalibur

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Fri Mar 8 14:46:12 PST 2013

Hi Paul,

While Excalibur is the most straightforward method of putting an external 10 MHz clock on the Atlas bus, if you are not able to find one you could certainly inject an external 10 MHz clock directly onto the Atlas_C16 bus line without using an Excalibur board.

Note however that you cannot use a sine wave 10 MHz source to do it directly, you must have a driver circuit that can drive the relatively high-capactitance bus line adequately.  To see how that is accomplished in Excalibur refer to the Excalibur schematic and you will see that Excalibur uses three 7404-type inverters in parallel to drive the bus line.   You could do that sort of thing externally on your own breadboard or custom circuit board, without taking up a slot on the Atlas bus as you would have to do if you use Excalibur.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my Excalibur board!!

73,  Joe K5SO