[hpsdr] Possible 5 band VHF transverter?

Conrad Farlow conrad at g0ruz.com
Thu Mar 14 17:18:32 PDT 2013

I agree Helmut this approach will not be as good as a well designed 3rd
overtone oscillator in the VHF region, however it will be acceptable.
This transverter is a multiband device that will be much cheaper and
smaller than the traditional topologies. It is not designed for a
contest station on 2m on a hill top.

The MAX2870 is not the device that I have in mind but the performance is
only a little better.

A low phase noise super linear transverter is a different exercise and
one that I am really interested in tackling as well, but later.

Despite that when coupled with Hermes it will be much better than the
typical VHF radio and rather better than the run of the mill transverter
designs that are out there. Not all Xtal oscillators are made equal.

However at this stage until I have done more testing and looked at the
reality of the spurs from the device and therefore the filter
requirements I am not prepared to share a block diagram.... yet. When I
have the building blocks in place and have tested them - and I have some
performance figures I will of course be prepared to share.

Can I just ask again (as I do not have a Hermes yet) is high side
injection feasible with PowerSDR? On 70 MHz I would like to use high
side injection. My LO frequency range with the proposed device is 85 -
2700 MHz.

I am chiefly interested in weak signal modes such as EME and close in
phase noise is not that important to me, I don't have any truly strong
signals above 50 MHz locally. I do have some stations who are quite
strong and clearly have their own phase noise issues :) Improving things
my end won't make any difference with those guys; fortunately they go to
bed early.

If any one has any ideas for a multiband transverter that can achieve
-146 dBc @ 10 kHz I'd love to hear your ideas.

So to summarise, my design as it stands will degrade Hermes by up to 20
dB/Hz @ 10 kHz offsets above 432 MHz however it will be a Hermes sized
box that will do at least 5 bands. When I know that it will work I will
publish a block diagram and ultimately construction details, pcbs etc.

For the best strong signal handling mono band transverters with LO based
upon a Xtal still wins out from what I have seen so far, I just fancied
doing something a bit different.

Whatever I do its got to be better than the awful Icom IC910 that we
have at our radio club!

73

Conrad G0RUZ