[hpsdr] Hermes question -- amplifier keying

John Ackermann jra at febo.com
Sun May 26 06:35:53 PDT 2013

I'm probably going to be bother the list a few times over the next week
or so as I try to get my portable Hermes station ready for a trip to
northern Michigan.  I'll post these questions separately to keep any
threads organized.

I'm using a TAPR-built Hermes with the Apache Labs 10W amp and
enclosure, so it looks like an ANAN-10 to PowerSDR.

The 10W output is driving a Ten-Tec 418 amp (5-10W in, 100W out).  The
418 has both a key-in and a key-out line.  If I read the documentation
correctly, the key out has a 4ms delay on keying to avoid hot switching.

Question -- should I simply use the Hermes key-out line to drive the 418
and count on the Hermes TX sequencing, or is it worthwhile to send PTT
to the 418 key-in and let the 418 key-out drive Hermes?

Thanks,

John