[hpsdr] Angelia_v1.7 firmware

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Thu May 9 15:13:37 PDT 2013

Hi Jacques,

I have rechecked Angelia/Alex automatic-mode switching on 6m using Angelia_v1.7 and my barefoot Angelia board and do not find any problem there; the firmware behaves as intended.

If the ADC warning comes on when you Tx on 6m there is clearly an excess of signal at the input of the Angelia board.  Here, I do not observe a problem with “Overload” warnings.  Indeed, the “Overload” warning comes on in my tests on 6m when the input signal to the Rx antenna input on Alex is at -30dBm or above, as expected as the the 6m preamp in Alex provides 20 dB of amplification, thus the overload point is 20 dB more sensitive (i.e., -30 dB) than the usual -10 dBm level that triggers overload when operating on the HF bands.  This condition may be compensated for easily though by making appropriate configuration settings in mRx PowerSDR, as I indicate below.  Unfortunately, I do not have an ANAN-100D unit here to try to duplicate your observations but from your descriptions and my tests I don’t believe there is a problem with your hardware or the new firmware.  As far as I can tell the Angelia_v1.7 firmware is working properly.

Here are my suggestions for you:

1) To address your ADC overload condition on 6m I recommend that you go to the setup menu in mRX PowersSDR,  Setup > General > Ant/Filters, and check the “ATT on Tx” box and set “31” into the ATT window.  That will insert 31 dB of attenuation on your receiver when you are in Tx mode.

2)  The space bar keyboard control for Tx is supposed to be momentarily pressed then released to switch from Tx to Rx and vice versa, once for each transition.  If you hold the space bar down then of course the keyboard will keep repeating space bar characters to the PC which in turn will key and unkey your radio repeatedly.  Don’t hold the space bar down; only momentarily press it to activate Tx mode then momentarily press it again to switch back to Rx.

If you set your PowerSDR program up as in 1) above and you still have the ADC overload condition occuring on transmit then you have an excess amount of rf leakage into your receiver from your transmitter, the PA,  or directly from the Tx antenna.  That’s not a problem with the firmware, it’s a problem with your cabling or the hardware.

Thanks for the feedback.  I wish you good luck in setting up your system to your satisfaction.

73,  Joe K5SO