[hpsdr] New Software and Firmware available

dmb at lightstream.net dmb at lightstream.net
Sat May 25 09:59:08 PDT 2013

Follow-up #2:

I reverted to the previous version of HPSDRProgrammer V2, and reloaded the
Metis v2.5 firmware suceessfully, so it seems that the issue might be with
the latest version of HPSDRProgrammer V2.

Can I use the previous version of HPSDRProgrammer V2 to install the latest
firmware for Metis, Mercury, and Penelope?

73,
Dale, WA8SRA

> Follow-up to my previous message:
>
> Per the instructions in Appendix A of the Metis manual, I removed Mercury
> and Penelope, and installed jumper JP1 on Metis, but then the
> HPSDRProgrammer V2 application cannot find Metis at all. If I remove the
> jumper and retry, it finds Metis again (though it still times out while
> erasing).
>
> 73,
> Dale, WA8SRA
>

>> Thank you Phil, Joe, and Doug!
>>
>> I'm currently running:
>> Metis v2.5
>> Mercury v3.3
>> Penelope v1.7
>>
>> ... and they are working fine w/ PowerSDRmRX and cuSDR. However when I
>> try
>> to update the Metis firmware using HPSDRProgrammer_V2 v2.0.3.2 to the
>> new
>> version (leaving all cards in place exactly as they are when everything
>> is
>> working), I get the following results:
>>
>> reading file...
>> file read successfully
>> Erasing device ... (takes several seconds)
>> Error: erase timeout
>> Power cycle and try again
>>
>> I then removed both Mercury and Penelope, leaving only Metis, but obtain
>> the same results.
>>
>> FWIW, I had upgraded all three boards back in March without any problems
>> using the previous version of HPSDRProgrammer_V2
>>
>> I can't seem to get beyond this point. Am I missing an important step
>> (or
>> more)?
>>
>> Thanks & 73,
>> Dale, WA8SRA
>>

>>> ***** High Performance Software Defined Radio Discussion List *****
>>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> The following new software is available:
>>>
>>> 1. HPSDRProgrammer V2.0.3.0 -  This fixes a problem with the programing
>>> of
>>> Angelia boards.   The latest code can be downloaded from
>>> www.openHPSDR.org under Downloads.  This latest version should be use
>>> by
>>> ALL
>>> openHPSDR and Apache Labs users.  Thanks to Dave, KV0S, for the
>>> software.
>>>
>>> 2. New FPGA code is available for  Mercury (V3.4),  Penelope/PennyLane
>>> (V1.8), Metis (V2.6) and Ozy/Magister(V2.5).  The latest code can be
>>> downloaded from
>>> www.openHPSDR.org under Downloads.   You must update ALL boards to the
>>> latest version before using with the latest version of PowerSDRmRX.
>>>
>>> For Ozy/Magister users you can either:
>>>
>>> 1.  Place Ozy_Janus_V2.5 in the directory where you have the latest
>>> PowerSDRmRX.  Then edit initozy11.bat to use this file  OR
>>> 2. Wait for Doug, W5WC, to announce a new version of PowerSDRmRX that
>>> has
>>> this edit made.
>>>
>>> The new versions of FPGA code allow Mercury to run at 384k samples per
>>> second with multiple receivers.   The changes involved using the i2c
>>> protocol for passing non-time-critical parameters that were previously
>>> passed via independent Atlas bus lines.  The new code  allows
>>> Atlas-based
>>> systems, in most cases, to perform at a level that is similar to the
>>> recent
>>> performance upgrades that have been made as part of the OpenHPSDR
>>> single-transceiver-boards, in as much as the Atlas-based hardware
>>> permits
>>> at