[hpsdr] Hermes, Anan, etc.

Warren C. Pratt warren at wpratt.com
Mon May 27 12:47:36 PDT 2013

I totally agree that going step-by-step through the audio chain is the
correct way to set up the transmit profile for these radios.  However,
please remember that the levels specified in this document may NOT be
correct for our current software.  Why?

DX/Compander--no longer there, replaced with a real Compressor
Equalizer--modified
Leveler--totally re-written, new algorithm
ALC--totally re-written, new algorithm

In the new scheme of things, one thing you don't have to worry about is
exceeding 0dB on the ALC meter--it can't happen.  There's no problem to
"bounce off" the 0dB line occasionally--it will not create any IMD or
measurable distortion. Measurable IMD is only created in the analog
amplifiers--so, please be careful with your Drive Level and PA settings so
as not to overdrive them.

A couple other tips:
**The compressor, equalizer, and leveler are of course totally optional--use
them if they improve your situation ... I find that with my MIC and voice
they are helpful to optimize the sound of my signal.
**Increasing MIC gain will increase compression (if the compressor is ON)
and change the effectiveness of the leveler.

Have fun, experiment, and find the best settings for your voice, MIC, and
personal taste.

73,
Warren  NR0V