[hpsdr] Problem getting Hermes running

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Tue May 28 12:09:33 PDT 2013

Hi Don,

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with your Hermes board.  There may be others who volunteer to help you too and if so please feel free to work with them if you’d rather.

In any case, your comments suggest a slight mis-understanding of a couple of items:

1)  When you load a Hermes.rbf file in bootloader mode you aren’t loading the FPGA itself, you are instead loading the EPCS-16 configuration device (the EEPROM).  The FPGA gets loaded from the EEPROM when Hermes powers up (and when it recycles automatically after loading the Hermes.rbf file in “normal” mode of the HPSDRProgrammer).  Thus, from your reports it isn’t clear that the FPGA actually gets loaded in your case.  Nevertheless, I agree with you that it seems your network connection is likely okay, as you seem to be able to load the EEPROM successfully using the network.

2)  The debug LEDs are indicating:
	 D12/DEBUG_LED7 = fast flash means that the DHCP negotiations have timed out
	DEBUG_LED4 = slow flash means that the ethernet speed mode is 100T

At this stage, it would be very useful to obtain a WireShark capture of the exhanges between the PC and Hermes when Hermes is powered up to see what is being sent/not sent by both.  Do you have WireShark?  It’s a free application.

73,  Joe K5SO