[hpsdr] exact frequency determination

John Marvin jm-hpsdr at themarvins.org
Thu Nov 21 02:04:03 PST 2013

Vasiliy,

I know you are joking, since I know that you also "compete" in the FMT
contests, and in fact came in 4th place in the April 2013 FMT (great
job!). So you know that top contenders can easily get within 30-40 mHz
for most of their measurements, but we occasionally get it right on. The
ARRL FMT contests are judged to the nearest 10 mHz. K5CM's "practice"
FMT's are judged to the nearest 1 mHz. Every once in a while we either
get lucky or ionospheric conditions are extremely favorable leading to
more precise results.

Anyway, the maximum error caused by the phase word computation
truncation can be close to 30 mHz, which would be a significant source
of error if not taken into account. Why not reduce that to 0 so we don't
have to worry about it and can concentrate on the parts we don't have
much control of, like reading the tea leaves, uh I mean reading the fft
peak chart over the duration of the FMT run and trying to determine
which values to throw out and which to keep.

Regards,

John
AC0ZG