[hpsdr] Penelope has no power output

Steven Wilson stevew at ka6s.com
Sun Oct 27 12:57:31 PDT 2013

I've had a Penelope board for about 4 years - and FINALLY have
everything required to try and use it, i.e. The Alex boards, etc. There
is almost no power coming from the board yet the LEDs lite up on the
board indicating power - and track with the Drive slider?

What I've tried:

1) With Alex board in the system and connected to a power meter/dummy
load - The auto-calibration routine doesn't complete and complains.
2) Removed the Alex transmit filter and wired the meter/dummy load
straight to Penelope - went to CW and moved the slider back/forth. The
LEDs on the board lite/dim as a function of the slider, but the meter
doesn't move.

In looking at the available literature I've found that I have T2
reversed. I'll be trying to get that turned around but must acquire
adequate tools to do the job. In  reading the failure description it
indicates that this should show up at higher frequencies - I'm seeing
the symptoms everywhere - so even though this is in error, I'm dubious
that this is my ONLY problem.

In looking at the schematic - it would SEEM that if the LEDs are
lighting that there SHOULD be RF power - so I'm a bit confused by the
symptoms.

Any suggestions?

Steve KA6S