[hpsdr] Fwd: Munin heat sink and spreader

Tom McDermott tom.mcdermott4 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 10 07:51:17 PDT 2013

My heat sink was also warped.  Initial gap between the spreader bar and the heatsink was about 0.009 inches.
I opened up a vice about 1 inch less than the length of the spreader bar, and placed the spreader bar across the vice opening. Then carefully banged at it with a hammer until the spreader bar was warped to match the heatsink. This closed the gap to the point where it was not possible to get a 0.0015 feeler gauge between the two, and it was hard to see light between them.

Then using the heatsink compound, I placed a thin film between the two and rubbed them together. Without any screws, it was most difficult to remove the spreader bar from the heatsink due to the film adhesion. Good enough for me. Then screwed the bar in place.  The 8 or 9 thousandths of induced deflection of the bar did not present any problems with mounting the transistors to the PCB.

-- Tom, N5EG