[hpsdr] Interesting email on SDR transmit noise

Shirley Márquez Dúlcey mark at buttery.org
Fri Oct 18 22:21:46 PDT 2013

SDR transmitters usually only have low-pass filters. The LPF will
limit the amount of broadband noise above the band of operation, but
it will do nothing about broadband noise in or below the operating
band.

There are two flaws in an SDR that can cause noise emission. Phase
noise in the local oscillator is usually the most important one in
non-SDR designs. In most current radios this is either a PLL-based
synthesizer or a DDS IC, In a DDS synthesizer, noise will depend both
on the DDS chip used and in the phase noise level of the reference
oscillator. Some DDS chips have an on-chip PLL clock multiplier; using
the multiplier should usually be avoided for best performance. Phase
noise is a problem in both SDR and non-SDR transmitters.

The second cause is noise and distortion in the audio signal used to
modulate the transmitter. That is an issue with an SDR transmitter in
any mode, and can cause noise much farther away from the transmit
frequency than in a typical non-SDR design. In a conventional
filter-based transmitter, most noise products are limited by the
passband of the SSB filter used in the transmitter. The linked article
suggests that the problem in the FlexRadio designs is in the audio
section rather than the LO.

I haven't seen similar testing of other SDR designs. Noise performance
of a design that uses an audio interface and a quadrature sampling
modulator, like most FlexRadio designs and the Softrock transmitters,
will depend heavily on the quality of the sound card or IC used for
transmit, as well as the quality of the clock signals to both the
sound interface and the modulator. FlexRadio clearly got some part of
that wrong in the 1500 and 5000, and it probably isn't quality of the
audio modulating signal because the bad noise sidebands remain even if
there is no signal. (It could, however, be the result of a noisy audio
amplifier that sends significant amounts of broadband noise to the
modulator even when nothing is being transmitted.) The article also
shows that they do power reduction by reducing the level of audio
drive to the modulator rather than turning down the gain of the
amplifier. Noise performance of a transmitter that uses a radio
frequency DAC depends on the cleanliness of the signal fed to the DAC,
the performance of the DAC, and the quality of the clock signal used
to drive the DAC.