[hpsdr] Help with Alex SWR

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Sat Oct 26 11:00:44 PDT 2013

Don:

It sounds like you are fighting several problems.

Apparently you are trying to build an Alex from a bare board?

You seem to be having problems with both the low pass filters on 10 and 6
as well as the directional coupler.

For the purposes of all toroid windings, the definition of a "turn" is one
pass through the center of the toroid.  Any pass through the center hole
is a turn.
Are your turn counts correct?

Do you have, or have access to, an antenna analyzer, like the MFJ-259 or
similar/equivalent?

Did you use the exact part number for the detector diodes (D1 and D2),
or substitute something else?

Did you use the exact part number for the 50 Ohm (actually 51.1 Ohm)
resistors for the power bridge(R2 and R3)?
... or substitute something else?

Where did you get your toroids?  Are you using genuine MicroMetals and
FairRite toroids, or did
you substitute something else? Or get a set of the Chinese toroids from
TAPR?

What gauge wire did you use to wind your 10 Meter toroids?
... your 6 Meter toroids?
... your directional coupler toroid windings
... your directional coupler "staples" (single through toroid jumpers)?

73's,
--- Graham / KE9H

==